How to Apply
It Takes a Community to Build a Habitat House!
Make sure you have read the information under Selection Criteria before beginning the application process.
Step 1: Complete the Pre-Application Form or call the Habitat for Humanity-Lima Area Office at (419) 222-4937 and request a copy. Return it by email to: email@example.com or by mail to: Family Services & Selection Committee, Habitat for Humanity-Lima Area, Inc., 550 W. Elm St., Lima, OH 45801. And call to ask any questions or to set up an appointment, if you have all the materials listed in Step 2 below.
Step 2: When the form is received, you will be contacted to set up an appointment for an application interview. You will be asked to bring PROOF OF INCOME to this interview. Items to bring include:
- Copies of your four most recent pay stubs
- A copy of your prior year income tax form
- Copies of additional income - award letters for Social Security, Disability, Child support records, etc. as proof of the amount you are receiving
- Copies of three recent bills for each of the utilities you use: gas, electric, telephone – land-line and/or cell, water, cable, other
- Copies of payment records verifying any debt listed
If your income falls within the required amounts, you will be invited to complete the formal application. While you complete the application two additional things will take place:
- We will run a current CREDIT REPORT. When the application has been completed, the credit report will be discussed with you. Collections appearing on the report will not result in disqualification. However arrangements must be made to clear all collections either through full pay off or setting up a payment plan to pay them off.
- Your name will be checked against the Sex Offenders list of the Attorney General of the State of Ohio. If your name appears on that list the application process will be terminated.
Step 3: Your application will be reviewed by the Family Services & Selection Committee. In this review they will identify issues, if any, that must be resolved and list additional documents that are required. Depending on the issues identified, the committee may request a delay in the process to give time for those issues to be resolved. Or, the committee may signal approval for further processing.
Step 4: When your file is complete, the Family Selection Committee will do another review. If all identified issues, including arrangements to clear collections, having references on file and copies of utility bills, have been provided to acceptance, a HOME VISIT will be arranged. This visit will give the committee opportunity for several of its members to personally meet with you and to do a final check on need.
Step 5: The final step is approval by the Board of Directors. The Family Selection Committee will bring an action for approval to the Board of Directors. Their approval is the end of the application process and signals your acceptance as a partner family.
After you have been approved...
Following your acceptance as a partner family, a plan will be developed that will guide further relationship between you and Habitat for Humanity-Lima Area, Inc. Keep in mind that acceptance as a Partner Family does not indicate immediate construction of a house. Construction depends on securing a building lot and securing funding for the project.